You guys, June is seriously rocking it with well known and esteemed authors coming to town. It’s like, each day gets better and better. SERIOUSLY, I was blown away! I regret to say that I already have to miss many of these, but I hope you don’t have to. Here is your rundown of awesome June events coming to a Twin City near you:
(Each month, I will be posting a “looking ahead” post of events coming up that month to stay tuned for! These are events that are on my radar, either via Facebook or events I am personally interested in going to or have knowledge of the author/book. As always, in the “Events” tab above you’ll find the Rain Taxi official literary calendar and other resources to help with finding book readings in the Twin Cities area. If I’ve missed any that you think need more media attention and marketing, let me know!
- From June 9-13: NFSPS Poetry Convention
- in Chaska, MN
- Full Registration-$75; Single Day- $45; Guest Pass-$10
- Thursday, June 9: Gina Wohlsdorf Reading at Magers & Quinn, 7pm (author of new book Security)
- Friday, June 10: MPR’s The Thread Live with Mary Roach and Keri Miller at the Fitzgerald Theater, 7pm
- Tickets $25-50
- Sunday, June 12: Sloane Crosley (author of The Clasp) Reading at Magers & Quinn, 5pm
- in conversation with The Riveter magazine
- Monday, June 13: Chuck Klosterman Reading from His New Book at Magers & Quinn, 7:30pm
- Tuesday, June 14: Natalie Goldberg at Grace-Trinity Church (with Magers & Quinn Booksellers), 7pm
- seats are first come first served! Her other event at the Loft Literary Center has sold out, so get there early!
- Also that day: The June meeting of the MN Publishing Tweet Up from 5-7pm!
- I REALLY HOPE TO BE THERE this time, so please come! We could go to Natalie Goldberg together afterwards (: Also, it’s at the Community Keg House which is wonderful place where you get to pour your own beer or cider! So yummy.
- Wednesday, June 15: Emma Cline, author of buzzed about new debut The Girls at Talk of the Stacks, 7pm
- At the Minneapolis Central Library
- Books provided by M&Q!
- Thursday, June 16 through Saturday, June 18: RAWI+Mizna 6th National Lit Gathering at Open Book
- Friday, June 17: Manuel Gonzales Reading at Magers & Quinn, 7pm
- Saturday, June 18: Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney, author of The Nest at Magers & Quinn, 7pm
- Monday, June 20: Minnesota author Peter Geye’s Wintering Launch Party, 6:30pm
- Sunday, June 19: Literary Happy Hour with Peter Geye at Valley Bookseller, 6:30pm
- Tuesday, June 21: Rebecca Kanner at Common Good Books, 7pm
- Thursday, June 23: Graywolf Press author Max Porter discussing his debut Grief is the Thing With Feathers at Magers & Quinn, 7pm
- Um, I’m so excited for this! I heard so much about this book when I was an intern at Graywolf and can’t wait to start reading it. Already have my copy!
- Friday, June 24: Eat My Words Bookstore’s Eat My Words: Short Story Theater, 7pm
- Tuesday, June 28: Nora McInerny Purmort (blogger of popular website “My Husband’s Tumor” and now author of her first memoir) reads at Magers & Quinn, 7pm
- Also that day: Queer Voices: An LGBT Reading Series – Special PRIDE Reading at the Minneapolis Central Library, 7PM
- This event will be ASL interpreted
- $5-25 Suggested Donation Supports the Series!
- Also that day: Kao Kalia Yang presents stories from “Green Card Youth Voices: Immigration Stories from a Minneapolis High School,” 7pm
If you can, I encourage you to check one or two of these great events out and perhaps discover some new awesome reads along the way! Let me know in the comments if there are any others you’re excited about this month!