Here’s a rundown of things to get on your radar for October.We’re in FULL SWING busy season, so yes, you’re going to have to choose when there’s two events on the same night!
Again, I know I’m not super consistent with posting the same events every time (if they’re monthly or recurring) but just shoot me a line to include what I missed! I’ve tried to be more inclusive by focusing on each bookstore and linking to all their upcoming events after featuring just one on here.
As always, in the “Events” tab above you’ll find the Rain Taxi official literary calendar and other resources to help with finding book readings and lit events in the Twin Cities area.
- Rain Taxi’s Twin Cities Book Festival is on Saturday, October 15th! You don’t want to miss one of the most important TC literary events of the year!
- Normally I write this post in chronological order, but this event is just TOO COOL to pass up. It’s 1) at the MN State Fairgrounds and 2) it’s ABSOLUTELY FREE. I hope to see you there!!
- And there’s an Opening Night Party!
Now back to our regularly scheduled programming 😉
- Monday, October 3rd: Literary MN: Reader’s Theater Event, which is put on by the Friends of the St. Paul Library and is a fantastic blend of books and theater performance.
- Tuesday, October 4th: Black Lives Matter: Reading & Teaching for Racial Justice, a discussion that will tie in how reading can help battle racial injustice and spark conversation and change.
- Thursday, October 6th: Anu Partenen discusses her new book The Nordic Theory of Everything at SubText Books!
- Friday, October 7th: Dave Eggers will be chatting with guests and signing books at new Milkweed Books! Don’t miss checking out the new bookstore, if you haven’t already!
- There’s also an event also on Tuesday, October 4th:Poets in Conversation with Milkweed Editions featuring Michael Bazzett, Patricia Kirkpatrick, Chris Santiago, and Jennifer Willoughby and that will be a conversation about the formation of poets and the supporting ecosystem here in Minnesota, with Milkweed Editions’ publisher, Daniel Slager.
- Though they’re a powerhouse press, they’re still a baby bookstore, so a lot of events are hosted or run by Milkweed Editions! For a list of all events at Milkweed Books/Editions, check out their Facebook events here, or visit their website!
- Thursday, October 6th: Poetry Happy Hour hosted by MN Book Awards and Friends of the St. Paul Library featuring Todd Boss, Heid Erdrich, Dobby Gibson, Ed Bok Lee, and Katrina Vandenberg.
- Wednesday, October 12th from 5-7pm: Join the The MN Publishing Tweet Up at the A Lofts.
- These are super fun happy hour events for publishing wannabes and professionals, and you’ll probably see me there!
- Also Wednesday, October 12th: Nathan Hill reads from The Nix at Magers & Quinn Booksellers!
- Twin Peaks co-creator Mark Frost presents The Secret History of Twin Peaks on Saturday, October 22!
- There’s more great ones this month including authors Charlie Quimby, Karen Brennan presenting her new book Monsters (get in the Halloween spirit!), James P. Lenfestey, and many others! For a list of all events at Magers & Quinn Booksellers, check out their Facebook events here, or visit their website!
- Also Wednesday, October 12th: Sun Yung Shin launches Unbearable Splendor at Moon Palace Books, a fantastic Coffee House Press poet and the editor of A Good Time for the Truth which you’ve heard me talk so much about. SO HARD TO DECIDE WHICH TO ATTEND!
- ALSO Wednesday, October 12th: the Birchbark Books Reading Series! With Jim Bettendorf, Leslie Matton-Flynn, Venessa Fuentes, and Linda Legarde Grover.
- On October 13-14th: Pen Pals with Billy Collins! For more information and how to get tickets, click that link.
- To see the rest of the season’s Pen Pals events, visit the Friends of the Hennepin County Library’s events page!
- Monday, October 17th: Gary Dop and Amy Munson at Common Good Books! In undergrad, Amy Munson was my poetry professor and Gary Dob was my sister’s (though she turned out to be a better poet than me, I don’t think that has anything to do with our professors), so I’m a little biased but I think you should check them out. Amy Munson’s debut poetry volume Yes Thorn is now out from Tupelo Press!
- Last, I’ll single out Claudia Rankine & Marilynne Robinson: In Conversation on Wednesday, October 19! Free and open to the public! As I could rave on and on about Rankine’s Citizen from Graywolf Press, you won’t want to miss this.
And because this is literally only the first half of the month, but I’m already all our room, see below for other bookstores and their events pages, featuring authors such as Ben Percy, Caroline Burau, Cheri Register, Nick Flynn, and many others!
- The shortlist of other Twin Cities bookstores/literary places with events you should check out:
If you can, I encourage you to check one or two of these great events out and perhaps discover some new awesome reads along the way! Let me know in the comments if there are any others you’re excited about this month!